Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Judge Orders Longer Hours At Polls In Black Majority Precincts

WEWS Cleveland - Workers at the Cuyahoga County Board of Elections are busy counting ballots after a delay caused by some precincts staying open late.

BOE director Jane Platten said despite some problems at polling locations, the count so far is going smoothly, despite some early hiccups.

Officials said workers should finish tallying the votes by 4 or 5 a.m. Wednesday. Officials also said that the vote counting system is working well and that no errors have been reported with any of the scanners or computers.

Counting could not begin until all polling locations were closed, and some stayed open 90 minutes longer than the rest.

Earlier Tuesday evening, Judge Solomon Oliver ordered 21 precincts in the city of Cleveland to stay open, which make up less than 1 percent of the precincts in Cuyahoga County. This was ordered due to weather conditions and a shortage of ballots at some locations.

The secretary of state's office earlier said Barack Obama's campaign filed a federal lawsuit to get a voting extension in Franklin and Cuyahoga counties, alleging a shortage of ballots.

Chief Investigator Duane Pohlman reported that there is no word on how many voters took advantage of the longer hours for voting, but said that there are some reports on voters getting turned away from precincts that had been ordered to stay open until 9 p.m.

AKRON, Ohio -- A man attacked Hillary Clinton campaign supporters on Market Street near a campaign headquarters Monday evening.

Police said William R. Bonner, 26, took the campaign sign from supporters and tried to hit people with them.

Officials said Bonner punched one of the supporters in the back of the head and took a sign away from another supporter.

When Bonner was arrested he began kicking the window in the police cruiser. Police said they used pepper spray.

Police determined he had a felony warrant on file in Youngstown.

Bonner was charged with assault, disorderly conduct and carrying a concealed weapon. He was transported to the Summit County Jail.

One of the volunteers was punched in the back of the head and another had his thumb dislocated.