FRIENDS, WE HAVE SEVERAL URGENT ACTIONS NEEDED TODAY AND THURSDAY.
Is your U.S. Representative on the letter going to Speaker Pelosi at the end of the week to urge her to oppose any amnesty effort in the House?
Please call today and ask.
I know that many of you are being told by Senate and House staffers that their boss absolutely won't be supporting an amnesty. But in many of those cases, we have evidence that that Member of Congress is actually telling other Members that he/she may support an amnesty compromise.
There are many ways to know that a person is a definite Amnesty Champion. You can check their Profiles and Grade Cards and see the amnesties they are sponsoring.
But there has not been a good way to pin down who is actually committed against an amnesty ...
... until this letter to House Speaker Pelosi.
It looks like the letter will be sent this weekend. So, your Representative has only a short time to be listed as a definite opponent of amnesty.
WHAT TO SAY ON THE PHONE
Be polite and quick with your call to the congressional office. Here are some of the points and questions you may ask:
1. Has Rep. xmxmx signed the letter to Speaker Pelosi urging opposition to any amnesties for illegal aliens?
2. (If the answer is "no" or "don't know," tell the staffer to get more information on the letter from Emily in Rep. Bilbray's office.)
3. Nobody in our District can have any assurance that Rep. xmxmxm will vote against an amnesty unless he/she signs this letter.
4. The news media and internet are filled with reports that a backroom agreement on an amnesty is right around the corner. If Rep. xmxmxm's name is not on that letter, I have to assume that he/she is staying favorable to this backroom amnesty deal.
5. NumbersUSA says everybody who signs the letter will see their amnesty grade rise on the Immigration Report Card.
6. Don't let Rep. xmxmxm go home on the spring break this weekend without signing.
Emphasize the urgency of getting the name on the letter before the weekend.
WHO HAS SIGNED SO FAR?
The good news is that around 80 Members of the House have already signed this letter.
The bad news is that it will take 218 votes to stop the amnesty.
At this moment we are not sure of all the signers. So, everybody just needs to call their own Rep. If your Rep. has already signed the letter, that gives you a chance to thank the staffer when you are told.
Pretty quickly this afternoon, we should have the list and will make it available to you on your Action Buffet corkboard.
SEND FAX URGING TO SIGN LETTER
As I send this, there is a fax for everybody to send.
But soon we will have subtracted all the people who already have signed the letter. If you don't find the fax, that means your Representative is a Good Guy/Gal and has signed.
Wednesday, March 28, 2007
Flake/Gutierrez Shamnesty Action Alert!